Sunday, December 21, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

Just when I was about to give up hope for something crazy to happen at work this Holiday Season...last Saturday night delivered. It was about 10:15 PM. The mall is open until 11. (don't even get me started on that one) I was helping a customer and we had one of our employees working at the desk. A mom comes up with her 4 year old daughter looking frazzled, and in a hurry.

She asks the young lady at the desk, "Can I leave my daughter here for a few minutes? I'll be right back." And then without even waiting for a reply she turns around and hurries back out into the mall hallway. Our employee was stunned and didn't even have time to form a response before the mother was gone.

OK, a couple of issues here. First, and most obvious, what the heck are you thinking? Leaving your kid with a complete stranger, at a mall, and not even waiting to hear a reply back from the person you asked the favor? Second, why do you have a 4 year old with you shopping @ 10:15 PM on a Saturday night? WOW!

The little girl was surprisingly calm, and Kaysi (our desk associate) talked to her and was very sweet. The mom came back about 4 minutes later. Said Thank You and left with her little girl.

Gotta love retail!!