I was driving to work this morningand I had a sad epiphany come to
me. All of the drive-in movie theaters
of my youth are gone. There were
2 along the old highway in
South Provo, and Springville.
My associate at work (Mad Dog)
who is 16 has never even been
to a drive-in. How sad is that?
I remember going to the drive-in
every week during the Summer
while in High School. Now of course,
me and my buddies were all
broke...so there would be some sort of discussion (ie fist fight) as to who had
to pay, and who got to get stashed in the back of the trunk. So there would
be 2 guys sitting in the car, 1 driver and 1 in shot gun...if that didn't look gay,
I really don't know what does. I can only imagine how it looked when we
found our parking spot and 2 or 3 guys poured out of the trunk of my
buddy's Honda Accord. We usually took the Accord because of the generous
trunk space...it was reasonably comfortable, until someone would
inevitably fart. But so goes the life of teenage boys.

I remember filling up the back
of my friend's truck with water
and having a swimming pool
while we watched the films.
I am also quite sure that
was a spectacle as well. Of
course I cannot find actual
photos of this event so I have
improvised to give you the
closest visual recreation
possible. Although, that dude
on the left does look a little like
someone who lived at a house we used to toilet paper.
The point of today's lesson is this...What are kids doing today?
I see no drive-ins, all I see are a bunch of cell phone carrying
brats who are very spoiled and have no imagination or any
idea of real fun. Now, of course I am generalizing. I know
plenty of good people of this younger generation, and Lord
knows I don't want to be in their shoes. It just makes me a
little sad that some of my favorite and fondest childhood
memories are not even available to today's generation.
I seriously doubt that in 10 or 20 years they will look
back and remember that funny text message that they
sent that one night to wrong person, and all sorts of drama
ensued. Anyway, I digress. I do know that there is a
drive-in on Redwood, but I don't feel like packing my
Glock on my hip to take my family to a movie.
Also, I understand that the land is way too valuable
as real estate to be used 4-5 months out of the year
as a drive-in, and maybe occasional Saturday Swap
Meets...another blog entry that will soon be coming,
I'm sure. It just makes me sad.
House Update: We have sold our town house and
are getting ready to close on the new house in Orem.
So watch out! Once we join the ranks of homeowners
again, it will be all over!! More news and pictures to
come when we collect our sanity!! Love to you all!!

3 comments:
Oh, WOW!.......Love the pool in the back of the truck, it is so....uh.........Redneck!! HAHA! Hey we have a drive-in right up here in Riverdale!! We go every summer! We've been twice this year and love to go! Although, I'm sure it would be more fun without a 2 year old with us! I agree with the cell phone, text thing, but that's all I will say about that cause I could go on and on. And CONGRATS on the house! Can't wait to see pictures!!
I have to agree with you on this post... I miss drive-in's too! isn't it funny how little kids know what an ipod is (was that even a word 7 years ago?) but their idea of a drive in is lunch at McDonalds?! I miss the good old days of dancing Hot Dogs and double features!
Drive in Movies!
There is still one located on Redwood Road in Taylorsville....
Oh the memories of taking Emily, Brooke, Marnie and booger to the Drive in....Hocus Pocus.....
Love the pictures of your new house and can't wait to see it....
Love you both
Sandy
Post a Comment